Saturday, August 3, 2019

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


This book, this book right here, The Hate U Give, is real. It is also one of those books that I wanted to read before I ever laid eyes on its cinematic version. Once I did start reading it, I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. It jumped right into action from the start.

The way Angie Thomas wrote this book at times made me feel like I was the main character, Starr Carter. I felt her black teen in America pain. At other times, I wanted to be there with Starr, especially so she wouldn't feel so alone at her mostly white prep school. I wanted to fight the war against American inequalities with her and I wanted to help and comfort her.

I really think this should be an assigned reading or highly encouraged option for high school students to read and analyze. It has so much to offer, it can break barriers if given the opportunity. It tackles racism, encourages community, and provides an eye opener to the struggles, faults, and dreams of Americans who are black.

Anyone who challenges this book can have a talk with me because it simply implies they do not understand or do not want to understand.

The last thing I will comment on is the movie version. I thought it was ok. It just seemed to change or was missing important details that the book laid out and I don't appreciate the changes made to Starr's older brother Seven. In the book he is her half brother on her father's side while in the movie they share both parents. That change in a detail that may seem minor, is actually very important to the epic plot line of the book which I love over the movie any day.

THUG LIFE,

The Black Bibliophage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! This book is amazing. I loved reading about some of the different Chinese customs and I loved the storyline and characte...